Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Meeting the Bus: Scene 2


Back in Silver Spring, Maryland it took a short drive to meet Daniel and Eli's bus at Oakland Terrace Elementary School after school. Here in KL in Scene #2 the ISKL bus comes right to our doorstep at Hampstead Rise! (Gabi gets off at 12:40 p.m. after her 1/2 day at "Prep Junior." Reeve alights at 3:15.)

Due to the tragic death of the father of Juvy (Doug and Tracy's nanny) in the Philippines, I had zero time to get over jet-lag before being pressed into "Grandpa Duty" once again.











Arriving in KL at 8:00 a.m. on 10/9 after 24+ hours on airplanes, I took a taxi to ISKL and shortly thereafter connected with Rania who would be my daytime responsibility on that day and the six school days to follow. (Gabi has only been with me for the afternoons and Reeve for just an hour or less prior to Mom and Dad's arrival from Ampang Campus.)

One of the amazing things about spending time with Rania has been my perplexity about why she's so devoted to a crude action figure of Darth Vader who accompanies her at all times! Sometimes if I look really busy at some task Rania will entertain herself with Star Wars figures -- or other small figures -- but if I look at all "available" she will press me into duty, giving me R2-D2 to "play with" so that Darth Vader can come up and say "Hello!" (Somehow ... that doesn't quite sound in character for him.)

All in all, it's been quite a week so far! Rania and I have been to McDonalds on one occasion and to KLCC on another. What a delight to have 50% of our "grandchild population" right here in Malaysia! - rw

2 comments:

Ed Dodge said...

What a neat blog. And what an amazing granddad to jump into full-time duty right off the plane! Thanks for sharing. Ed Dodge

N said...

Darth Vader...... interesting companion. well, i guess rania has suceeded in turning him away from the dark side.