Friday, September 11, 2009

The Last of the U.S. Summer!


I fly to KL from PDX on Tuesday, September 15th but celebrated "the last of the U.S. summer" in Silver Spring, MD with Mark and Marta, Daniel, Eli and Micah for two weeks over Labor Day. One of the highlights of the trip was on Saturday of the Labor Day week-end when we drove a couple hours on a beautiful day to Shenandoah NP in Virginia which gave me my first-ever chance to set foot on the Appalachian Trail. (Our hike to a Compton Gap viewpoint was about 3 miles rt.)




At the viewpoint we had snacks, a nice rest and a gorgeous view of the Shenandoah River and the surrounding countryside. After hiking back to the trailhead, a nice picnic lunch at Noon which Marta had prepared was enjoyed by all. A great trip!


Since Daniel and Eli started school on the week before Labor Day, I had plenty of time to spend with Micah who bonded early with G'pa. (We mananged a couple trips to the Starbucks (mocha for me) at Safeway in Kensington (donut for Micah).









One of Grandpa's occasional duties was picking up Daniel and Eli at 4:10 p.m. at the Oakland Terrace Elementary School where they were bussed from their own school across town. (Could it be that both boys are Redskins fans?!) Also while I was in Silver Spring I had the chance to get-in-on a 75th birthday celeb-ration for Marta's Dad, Naigzy, who was staying with Moges and Donica. Needless to say, the cake -- in partial celebration of Naigzy's plan to climb Kilimanjaro during his 75th year -- was most impressive! - rw

3 comments:

N said...

Firstly, I see no river. Secondly, Zips needs a smaller backpack. And lastly, that cake is absolutely AMAZING. Wow. Makes me anxious to see your 75th b day cake.

Ron and Nancy said...

Tasha: I'm confident that Mom Nance is taking lessons in cake decorating in preparation for my 75th. - Dad

Anonymous said...

Had I known this blog entry had been posted, you would have heard from me immediately. But better late than never! These are exciting pictures and you have chronicled your time with us extremely well. We miss you!

Marta