Friday, December 28, 2007

Meanwhile ... back in Oregon - August '07

Believe it or not, after Nancy flew to Kuala Lumpur on Monday night, July 16th, my calendar was pretty full until I flew out to join her on Sept. 7th.
- I celebrated our anniversary on July 17th alone, had a medical appointment, then went to the dentist on the 18th. On the week-end of the 20th-22nd, I had a great time hosting an old friend, Ron Harvey, who came down from Seattle by train and spent the week-end at our place.
- Then, during the next week I spent a lot of time in Newberg for the sessions of Northwest Yearly Meeting, rejoicing in the positive atmosphere and the approval in business sessions to a major reorganization of the YM board structure.
- On the Saturday after Yearly Meeting I was up by 5:00 a.m. to do a shift at a Kiwanis Club fundraiser in Salem.
- The following week was not so busy, but the highlight of late summer occurred that week-end when Mark and Marta, Daniel, Eli and Micah flew out from Maryland to spend about ten days in Oregon.
Tasha took a week-off work and spent most of her time joining in the following activities: dinner at Friendsview with G'ma Woodward, a visit to the Gilbert House (a kids' activity center in Salem), two nights at the Sandoz beach place in Manzanita, an overnight camping trip to Lost Lake near Mt. Hood, a trip to the Portland Zoo, and some fun times at our condo on Trevino Ct.


- Late in the week after Mark & Marta flew back home I drove 700+ miles in two days to Bishop, CA to fulfill a "pre-Malaysia dream" of mine, i.e. - to go backpacking for one last time (?) in the High Sierras of California. At a Forest Service campground near the Bishop Pass Trailhead I met Jim & Sara Orvick who had come west from Wisconsin on Jim's BMW motorcycle to join me for the trip. After two nights getting acclimated to the altitude, we hiked over Bishop Pass (11,900 ft.)and had a glorious time in perfect High Sierra weather, spending four nights camping in Dusy Basin at nearly 11,000 ft.


- En route home from California I spent two nights enjoying Tom & Nelda Dehm's hospitality in Bend, OR as I fulfilled the last phase of an "NCD Coaching Commitment" I had made to the New Hope Church of Bend 9-10 months earlier.
- I was home in Keizer a couple days unpacking gear and cleaning-up from backpacking before my sister Elaine arrived from Lincoln, NE for a 5-day visit with our Mother. Elaine stayed with me in Keizer, affording good times together as we shared our concerns and our love for Mother as she approached her 102nd birthday.
- Five days after Elaine left, the condo was ready to be turned-over to Lisa Magee, our housesitter, my bags were packed, and I welcomed Tasha's hospitality overnight in Portland prior to flying out early on Sept. 7th for Vancouver B.C., Hong Kong, and then Kuala Lumpur. - rw

No comments: