Saturday, June 13, 2009

Meanwhile, back in Oregon ...

If Robert Putnam wrote his book, Bowling Alone, on a sociological phenomenon in America, I supposed my title this week would be Eating Alone. But, fear not. I don't think I'm suffering. In fact, today in a jaunt over to E-Z Orchards, a year-around fruit and vegetable market out in the country, I found the largest artichoke I'd ever seen ... and managed to consume all of it for dinner tonight!



In addition, I managed to work-in a pork chop cooked in tomato soup + a tossed green salad and iced tea. O yes, since it's that glorious 2-4 week period in Oregon when luscious strawberries are ripe, I also managed to find the shortcake recipe on the back of a Bisquick box, bake a few and create strawberry shortcake with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. It's probably called suffering for Jesus in the absence of my dear wife, Nancy! - rw

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel I have to jump in before your kids do, Ron, and congratulate you on a highly exciting installment of the Ron & Nancy Malaysia Journal. It was a gripping read, to be sure. I must say, I have never seen an artichoke that big, and am impressed that you managed to consume it all. Although I discerned a distinct lack of dark green leafy vegetables on your plate, I was relieved to see that your salad was not supported by a bed of jello. Eat on with splendor, dear father-in-law! Never let it be said that blog postings about Everest and tropical islands can't compete with reminiscences of a simple dinner!

Ron and Nancy said...

Thank you, Marta! I'm touched. - rw

N said...

what do you have against jello???????? huh??????? the artichoke looks delicious! and the plate is even better. what's up with the book Bowling Alone?

was that really marta that wrote that and not Riley Case? why can't Marta be considered as your "kid"... huh??????? i thought you had adopted her long ago.

woodward said...

All will be very happy to know that we took our entire family strawberry picking a couple of days ago -- the kids lasted about 40 minutes -- but we came back with a bunch of strawberries which we are greatly enjoying from the u-pick experience.

(Slightly different experience than at Cameron HIghlands!)