Thursday, October 20, 2011

October Apples & Fly Fishing ...

On a spectacularly gorgeous October day (10/18) with great views of Mt. Hood, I hitched a ride with good friends Gary and Susan Fawver for a drive up to Parkdale to buy apples at the Kiyokawa Family Orchards. Even though I only had 3 weeks before flying to KL, I wanted to buy a few apples to slice-up and dry in our Jenn-Air oven that has a special temperature setting for drying. The two varieties to the left (Tsugaru-red & Ginger Gold-green) were especially recommended for drying; the apple to the right is a HoneyCrisp, sweet and good for eating. To get to Parkdale we drove up by Mt. Hood and saw some spectacular fall colors en route.
Our timing on the trip was excellent since after purchasing our apples it was the perfect time for lunch at the Hood River Inn where I am pictured on the deck overlooking the Columbia River.

The very next day I had arranged with my good friend from Silverton Friends Church, Jim Thomas, to give me some tutoring in the fine art of fly fishing. So, he drove his pickup out near the Santiam River at Mehama where we found a nice casting pool for a couple hours of practice. Maybe someday I'll actually go fly fishing! I am pictured trying to figure everything out while the master shows how it's done. - rw

No comments: