Sunday, August 5, 2012

High Sierra Update ...

The country into which Tasha and friends are hiking today (Sunday) and tomorrow (Monday) provides some of the most spectacular scenery in the entire Sierra range. (Pictured are The Minarets.) The group arrived right on schedule at Reds Meadows (near Devil's Postpile Nat'l. Monument) on Friday afternoon after hiking slightly over 50 miles in 5 days. They decided that an unplanned lay-over day at Devil's Postpile would be appropriate, however. So, Friday night and Saturday were spent mostly relaxing and driving (me) into Mammoth Lakes City to go out to dinner and visit a laundromat!
Today (Sunday) after the group left my campsite at 6:00 a.m. (I was still in bed!), I found out that no worship services were scheduled in the Monument so I took a 3 mi. hike to Minaret Falls. After I got back from the rather easy hike, I broke camp and drove back to Mammoth Lakes City to get gas, some pizza for lunch, and some groceries for the next leg of the trip. The picture below is of me at Rainbow Falls, a very popular "tourist hike" from Devil's Postpile. - rw

2 comments:

Mark W. said...

Looks like you got some pretty remarkable scenery in yourself. Fantastic!

N said...

wow, that Minaret falls looks very nice.