Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The "end" to some great hiking boots!

On my one lay-over day at Florence Lake -- after getting acclimated for about 36 hours (!) -- I bought a round-trip ticket on the boat across the lake, with a plan to hike as far as I could on the trail to Evolution Valley and still get back for the 5:00 p.m. return boat. However, a strange thing happened on the way to the boat dock! As I made my way down the granite slabs toward the dock I noticed that the sole on my right boot was loose and was flapping. Immediately I realized that I'd need to turn around, head back to camp, put on tennis shoes and take the 10:30 a.m. boat. However, the storekeeper ("Charlie") insisted that she had duct tape and could do a quick "fix" so I could still take the 8:00 a.m. boat. The "fix" was done, I boarded the boat, disembarked on the other side, and began hiking. After less than a mile the duct tape worked loose and I realized I'd need to turn around. So, after enjoying the scenery and taking a few pictures, I returned on the 11:00 a.m. boat and spent the afternoon in camp reading a John Grisham novel! I did take a picture of "the disaster" after getting back to camp ...
On the 11:00 a.m. return, "Charlie," this time the boat operator, asked if the 8 of us wanted to take the time for a brief detour to see the back of the dam (front side pictured).
We all said "yes" to the idea, so she ran the boat up onto a sloping granite slab near one side of the dam, and we all climbed out, walked up the granite slope to one end of the dam and took a look at the other side before the journey back to the dock. (By the way, the scenery shot was taken on the far side of the lake.
O yes, I suppose I should point out that I've never really been eating "high on the hog" while camping! - rw

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be interesting to know how many miles those boots had logged. I hope you gave them a fitting r.i.p.
Marcile

Ron and Nancy said...

Thanks, Marcile! My problem is that I can't remember when I bought them at REI. It was at least 12 years ago. Even so, a fellow hiker said I should take them to REI, show Customer Service what happened ... and maybe they'd just give me a new pair! (My guess is that they simply died of old age.)

Anonymous said...

It sure looks like another "terrible high Sierra day". - Nancy

N said...

ohhhhhh, those boots deserved a better burial than they were given. I'm glad you got some last pictures of them.