Saturday, June 27, 2015

A day at Lake Atitlan


After breakfast on Friday, July 26th, we rode on the bus to Panajachel where we had several hours of shopping and sightseeing. It was not uncommon to see a Mayan woman, like the one pictured, riding a modern motorcycle around town, with a member of the family on the back. Eli and Gabi had plenty of opportunities to buy small items for family members, and we stopped at one store for soft drinks before boarding the bus for the ride back to the hotel for lunch. After lunch, I took Gabi and Eli to the nearby nature reserve where they hiked considerably further than I did and managed to see spider monkeys and other wildlife.
I visited a butterfly enclosure and took several photos while inside. They reached the highest point on the trail where they were able to see the starting point for a rather expensive zip-line adventure. We all walked across about 1/2 a dozen swinging bridges like the one pictured. (Nancy was glad to be spared the experience of the swinging bridges, and used the time to take a nap!) The other interesting feature on the hike was the waterfall. - rw

2 comments:

Mark W. said...

Sounds like a great adventure. But why only "small items" for family members? Maybe you mean for Auntie Tasha. But for his Dear Old Dad, I'm sure Eli has procured something nice.

N said...

Why must something nice be so big? The best present I ever received was that magnet Danielson got me from Panama. It was very small, but sooooooooooooooo nice. I'm glad to see that Gabi is showing her patriotism in Guatemala.. I hope they like the US of A there. If not, I have a Canadian flag t shirt she can borrow for next time.