Sunday, March 2, 2008

Birthday in Kuala Lumpur


My 73rd birthday (ouch!) turned out to be a double-header -- with my actual birthday being celebrated with chocolate cake and ice cream that Nancy brought to a 7:00 p.m. weekly "Home Fellowship Group" (home Bible study) on Wednesday night, 2/27 at the home of a couple from St. Andrews Presbyterian Church where we've been attending. It's a very supportive group of ex-pats. Several "regulars" were absent and not pictured, including Anita Stansell from NFC who had a prior engagement. Paul Vaughan, our host, was also absent on a business trip to Perth, Australia.(Unfortunately, Nancy isn't shown since she took the picture.) Both of us have enjoyed getting acquainted with everyone in the group in the course of our current study and discussion of Ken Sande's book, Peacemaker, which I got drafted into leading on my very first visit to the group!
The "nightcap" of the twin bill occurred on Saturday night and Sunday when Reeve, Gabi and Rania were all at our place for a sleepover prior to re-connecting with Doug & Tracy at 8:30 a.m. worship on Sunday morning. (Doug & Tracy took advantage of the occasion to go out to dinner and attend a play at ISKL on Saturday night.) The picture above was taken at our place after a Sunday noon dinner for ten (an ISKL teaching couple joined us), with the cake & candles being provided by Tracy. (Yep, I still had the strength to blow out all the candles the first time around!)

I accomanied a friend and spent most of the day on Saturday at a "seminary-level class" in Petaling Jaya on "Justification by Faith in Paul's Epistles" which I'm just auditing. So, since I wasn't at home when the kids arrived Saturday afternoon, I missed the kids' creativity with play-dough, but was delighted by an enthusiastic greeting from Rania when I walked in the door. What a gift it is to have grandkids so close! And, Doug reminded me that he was sure he hadn't been present to celebrate my birthday since his senior year in high school 20 years ago. - rw

1 comment:

N said...

wow, looks amazing! very very fun... i hear rania calls you "baba".. she just needs to add the "yangu" to it. glad dug got to finally be with you on your b day, but i missed you on it! next year you'll have to come to oregon for it....