Monday, March 10, 2008

A Small Dream Realized


On Saturday, March 8th Nancy and I drove down to the headquarters of the American Association of Malaysia (unimpressive bldg. pictured above) to view a display of items brought up to KL for sale by Malacca Woodworks. Anyway, for me it didn't take much wandering around in the display area before I spotted a roll-top desk that caught my eye. (Years ago I'd gotten very close to coveting one at the Amana Colonies in Iowa, but saw immediately that Amana roll-top desks were way beyond our price range [currently listed online at $6000+].)

Anyway, after looking around a little more Nancy and I decided we were ready to make a purchase at a mark-down price of RM2210 (about $690). So, with delivery on Monday of this week, the desk now happily sits in our living room and will be one of the main items that we'll ship back to Oregon when our days in Kuala Lumpur come to a close. Notice the hand-carved drawer pulls (pix below) that have a Chinese motif. The shelf that protrudes slightly just below desk level comes all the way out and is reversable -- completely flat on one side for writing, but with recessed compartments on the other side for pencils, paper clips and other desk items. Anyway, we're both happy campers with this new acquisition! - rw

4 comments:

woodward said...

So to "whom" is the "happy camper" referring?

"Ron" and Nancy or the "indented compartment" and the "Chinese" motif "pulls" or "Ron" and the "roll-top desk?" Oh wait, does roll-top have a dash in "it" or not?

I'll check the blog.

Yes, I'm "right." I'm sure I got the quotation marks right "too."

N said...

that's not an appropriate comment for a blog. Who is censoring this?

N said...

but the real question is: was a staging area required for the moving of the desk?

woodward said...

Foiled. After such a clever comment, someone goes back and "edits" all of the "quotations."

(And I'm quite sure that through PhotoShop, the staging area was scrubbed from the photo. . .)