Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hiking -- Labor Day Week-end


On Saturday, Sept. 3rd, Naigzy joined the Woodwards on Eccleston St. for a drive to West Virginia for a hike at the Friends Wilderness Center -- a Quaker retreat center about 90 minutes away from the D.C. area. After parking at the center we hiked uphill to the "AT" (The Appalachian Trail) where we hiked for a short distance to a viewpoint where we had lunch. The weather was overcast and humid but the rain held off which was somewhat Providential since we'd forgotten to bring any rain gear! The only downside of the day was that we split-up on the hike back with Mark, Eli and Naigzy continuing on the AT in an unsuccessful attempt to find an alternate trail back to the center. (After hiking at least an hour on the AT, they had to retrace their steps and return two hours later by the same route that Marta, Daniel, Micah and I did.)



After the hike we drove back to Silver Spring via Frederick, MD where we found a Cracker Barrel Restaurant to delight the entire group of hikers! - rw

5 comments:

N said...

Firstly, what a great idea... to hike at a Quaker center... I would like to commend whoever thought of this. Secondly, did it inspire you to hike the whole AT? Thirdly, I am impressed by the attire of the entire group, but especially Micah's choice of T-shirt. Fourthly, may I ask where the penguin came from? Fifthly, may I ask why there are no pictures of Naigzy.. it makes it a bit hard to believe that he was actually on the trip. Sixthly, it is a bit surprising that rain gear was not even thought of, especially considering the Woodwards' most recent backpack trip. Seventhly, I wonder how it is that Mark took the wrong trail. Did he not have a map? A bit shocking. And lastly, I would like to know if the flavors of Crackle Barrel made you want to slap your mama.

Ron and Nancy said...

What do mean, N's, that there's no pix of Naigzy?!!!

Marta said...

Yeah, who do you think that was sitting on the rock with his thumbs up? But anyway, yes. The flavors of Cracker Barrel (not to be confused with Crate & Barrel; Dad thought it odd that we were going to eat at a furniture store), were such that if my momma' was with me, I would say, "Momma, you might want to leave for a second..."

N said...

I'd like to point out that Dad added that pic of Mr. Gebremedhin AFTER I mentioned something. But yes.. I do like the picture, he looks like a true hiker.. with mosquito resistant pants. :)

Ron and Nancy said...

Yes, indeed, Nzol, that's the man who climbed Killi to celebrate his 75th b-day!