Thursday, September 29, 2011

The "jewel" of the OR State parks!



On what looked like it might be the last beautiful day of "Indian Summer" -- with bright sun and the temperature nearing 80 degrees -- I decided that the thing to do would be to take the 7-mile hike that covers most of the waterfalls at Silver Falls State Park (the park that Oregon calls "the jewel" of its state park system).

I parked the car at "Winter Falls," hiked about a mile to North Falls, (pix at top) and then behind North Falls on the Canyon Trail all the way to South Falls (the 3rd picture down). Again, it was a beautiful day, and I encountered a number of people (most of whom looked retired) who also had the same mid-week idea. I took a day-pack with water, a couple granola bars, a sandwich and apple slices, so I was in good shape.

The picture below is about half-way through the hike -- Lower North Falls (not so impressive, but a very pretty cascade amid lots of foliage. Lower South Falls (this last pix) has a great family history to it since years ago on a hike at the falls, Mark made up this fabulous story about how the name had become confused over the years and really should be "Lawyer South Falls." Of course, a long story about Lawyer South was part of the revisionist version of history that Mark created! - rw

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron, you are amazing! You will probably make it to the Lawyer Falls when you are your Mother's age:-)
Marcile

N said...

Nice pics...! I esp. like the one of South Falls.... very impressive!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous - what a beautiful day. - Nancy

Doug said...

Indeed, I do believe that I will concur on Nzol's point about the South Falls pic being quite impressive -- with the sun shining on the falls (though the critique of too much flash on the foreground moss was mentioned just to keep my father from thinking he is a professional photographer).

I tried to explain the Lawyer south Falls story to Tracy. Let's just say "you had to be there."