Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Snow Day in North Pole

The second snow storm in September started on Sept. 29 and continued through Sept. 30. Weather.com posted this "For the second time in less than a week, Fairbanks, Alaska, was blanketed with heavy snow. This time, it was a record-breaker. Officially, 11.2 inches of snow blanketed Fairbanks International Airport Tuesday, setting an all-time September daily snow record, previously 7.8 inches on Sep. 13, 1992. This also topped the previous record for any 24-hour September snowfall of 9 inches in 1992, according to Rick Thoman from the National Weather Service in Fairbanks. Records in Fairbanks date to 1904.



My car after I had dug it out once the day before.

The heavy wet snow took down tree limbs and power lines.
Golden Valley Electric Agency reported an estimated 7,000-9,000 customers without power as of early Wednesday morning in Fairbanks and in nearby areas. This was down from a peak of about 13,000 customers Tuesday evening, or roughly 30 percent of their total customers."

School was cancelled on Sept. 30 so it was a very low key day in my apartment. I was one of the customers without power. I had a very quiet day reading books and eating cold food. I had just gotten snow tires Tuesday so I tested them out to go to the local Safeway store to get matches. I had candles but no matches.   - Nancy

2 comments:

Ron and Nancy said...

Nance: Thanks for posting the snow pix. PTL that you have internet and TV for the wk-end! Good to talk to you! - rw

N said...

Ohhhhhh. Beautiful!!!