Thursday, September 3, 2015

Getting Settled in North Pole, Alaska

I arrived in Fairbanks 6 days ago on August 28. During this whirlwind of a week Ron and I have gotten settled into an apartment, bought a car and I started a new job.

I'll start with where we live. It is an apartment in a complex called Beaver Lake Resort. I have a one bedroom place that is very suitable. The arctic entrance (white door) is shared by one other resident and then there is a door into our respective apartments.
The laundry is down a flight of stairs down the the back interior entrance to our place. There is a designated place to park my car that has a plug in for my car in and it is close enough that I can stick my head and hand out of the arctic entrance and the car has a remote start so it is heated and defrosted when I get into it.
Car

The apartment is 600 sq. ft. We have a queen bed in the bedroom, a card table for the kitchen, and yesterday we finally got a used hide-a-bed for the living room.
Kitchen
Living Room
Bedroom
Tomorrow the Internet and Cable company are coming to hook us up to wireless and cable. We have Internet via hard wired but the wireless router is not working so the technician from the Internet company is coming to set us up.

The lake on the property is very lovely. It was 70 degrees here today. Some of the residents have kayaks and enjoy being on the lake. - Nancy




5 comments:

N said...

looks wonderful!

Mark W. said...

Yes, very nice pictures. Perhaps you will have a chance to hike to Angel Rocks. This three mile round trip hike will yield spectacular views of the Chena Hills area. The rocks and caves are great fun and it is especially beautiful during the first couple of weeks of September.

Doug said...

Does look like you are at a vacation cabin. . . sounds pretty amazing - especially combined with the views of Denali that dad took. What an adventure - and glad to hear that people are friendly at school. I'm sure you will learn a lot and have fun stories to tell.

Unknown said...

Looks like a nice place to live! Just hope you don't have to shovel all the snow around your car!

Marta said...

boy, that is a nice lake. I wonder if there's a walking trail around it.