Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 18, Monday, Sept. 2, Gaell Gallery, Grosmont


Hiked 13.75 miles, 176.5 miles down, 15.5 miles to go
Today I thought it is now whatever-it-takes to get to Robin Hoods Bay on two legs and sore feet on Wednesday.
(a view of the North Sea again!) I knew the trail was going to be some road walking so I decided to wear my Tevas and carry my hiking boots in my day pack. After hiking about 3.5 miles the trail was quite rocky so I put on my boots. My feet protested but I wore them for several miles and then switched back to my Tevas. I made it to our B&B in fairly good shape. My ETA today was 4 pm and we arrived at our B&B at 3:15 pm. The day was so gorgeous. It was a day to enjoy the Coast 2 Coast walk.
The moorlands are so vast and the heather is in bloom. It was windy again but not cold. As we dropped into the valley we enjoyed scenes of green fields and quaint English villages tucked into the valley. One portion of the trail was through a peaceful woods by a stream. Whenever the trail is on a road or a rocky track hikers try to find softer options so there are paths along the side of the paved road or the rocky path. Today about a mile of the trail was through a woods. The path had large flat stones laid out but walkers had paths on both sides of the stones. Since it was dry it was nice to take the softer paths. It is obvious that in rainy weather one would have to walk on the stones,
One interesting thing we've noticed is how dogs are welcome in pubs and people sit around with them on the floor as they eat. I think the Brits like their dogs. Tomorrow is another full day of hiking and then Wednesday we will be at the end of the trail. - Nancy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Almost there! The north sea looks far, but it is not as far as it looks. You're doing great!