Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 19, Tuesday Sept. 3, York House, High Hawsker

Hiked 11 miles, 187.5 Down, 4.5 to go
(View of North Sea!) Almost there. We both walked in hiking sandals today since our feet were rejecting the idea of wearing boots. Today could be called the "B" day for me. The first B's are blisters and bandages. Each morning I rummage through all moleskin, bandaids, compeeds (a very expensive British blister product) and have an elaborate system to try to get set for hiking.
(The cow seemed to invite a picture!) The second B's for today for me are bee sting and Benadryl. A bee stung me on my neck as we hiked in this morning. I quickly took 2 Benadryl since I have had allergic reactions to bee stings in the past. Kathy said to me if she took two Benadryl she would be asleep on the trail. It had the opposite reaction for me. When the drug kicked in it gave me an adrenaline rush. I think for the first time on the entire trip Kathy said she had to work a bit to keep up with me. I am usually trying to keep up with her. Too bad I didn't figure this out sooner. I could have become a regular addict and hiked faster. The last B is for blessings. I have been blessed to have a good hiking partner. When we were hiking down the steep scary sections Kathy would call back to me, "Almost there. You're doing great." In the first days of the hike people would ask us where we were headed and I would say we are trying to get to Robin Hoods Bay. Kathy would say,"We are going to Robin Hoods Bay." Her can-do-attitude has been fantastic. We have been blessed with good health and even though we write about blisters and sore feet we have stayed well and had no accidents, injuries, or illnesses that effected our hike. We have been blessed with fantastic weather.
(Also the scenery!) It only rained hard on us our second day of hiking, The other day it rained hard was a layover day for us. Only one other day did we hike in the rain and that was only for about 2 hours. It has not been too hot and we have had good breezes when needed. We have been blessed by those of you who have read our blog postings. Comments and emails of encouragement have been special for us. I am especially blessed that Ron has posted my notes and pictures that I email to him each day. I had lots of issues trying to post and this is what worked. Today we hiked again through some beautiful country. We hiked through a wooded protected area and even stopped at a little cafe for scones.
Finally I got my scones on the trail. We walked across low moors and once again the trail description was classic, "Look for solitary leaning tree that appears in the middle of the moor and aim for that."
Tonight we are at High Hawsker which is actually on the North Sea. We are 2 miles by road and 4&1/2 miles by the trail that follows the sea coast to our destination of Robin Hoods Bay. We are looking forward to a nice, beautiful, short hike tomorrow. - Nancy

1 comment:

Ron and Nancy said...

Hooray, Nance! You're almost there! - rw