Saturday, May 5, 2018

Day on Lake Como

Leaving the harbor in Como
First view of the Alps
After work on Friday I took the train from Rome to Milan and then a commuter train from Milan to Como which is the town that sits at the South end of Lake Como.  I arrived in Como about 9 pm and checked into my hotel. I picked one that is walking distance from the train station but didn't realize that a single room is about the size of a prison cell. It is clean and quiet although not at all scenic. The one tiny window looks out onto an alley. But I am here to be tourist so Saturday morning I headed out to purchase an all day ticket to go to villages along the the shores of Lake Como by boat. The ticket allowed me to get off at any village and stay as long as I wanted. The trick was to figure out when the next boat was coming and which village it went to next. The day started out overcast and then turned sunny. I got back to Como by mid-afternoon when it was looking very much like rain. It did rain as soon as I was back at the hotel.

My first stop was the village of Bellagio. I had time to go the the church there.


Mural in church in Bellagio.
Next stop was the village of Veranna. This was my favorite stop. The village hugs the hillside and has a lovely walkway along the shoreline. It was very picturesque.


Veranna

Veranna







Veranna




















Menaggio


        I got off in Menaggio but didn't stay long. It seemed very busy. There are roads to the villages on both sides of the lake. Ferries also take cars to the villages. I had lunch in Argegno. I guess that is not really tourist village because I was the only one who got off the boat there. I took a picture of a lovely villa in the town that is actually a branch of the Italian bank where I have my account. Best looking bank building I have ever seen.
Bank in Argegno



It was spring along the coast of the lake so I saw some beautiful gardens.  - Nancy


1 comment:

Marta said...

I wonder how it compares to our visit of Cinque Terre?