Sunday, May 6, 2018

Why not Switzerland?

Como, Italy sits just South of Switzerland. In less than a 7 minute train ride I crossed the border into Switzerland. But unlike the signs on the Interstate when you cross into a new state and there is a big billboard that says, "Welcome to Oregon," there is no indication that one has left Italy and is now in Switzerland. But it is evident in the things like less trash, cleaner streets, less graffiti and more flower boxes and neat, tidy yards. My purpose was to go the the city of Lugano. Like Como it sits by a large lake and climbs up the hillside. The train station is high up on of the hillsides. It was a nice stroll down to the lakeside but a good cardio workout back when I had finished my day of exploring. I had no plan for the day and enjoyed a hop-off train ride around the city. I learned about a beautiful park and that I walked to see. The azaleas were in full bloom. There were park benches and I discovered a delightful idea of some boxes of books available to read in the park and then returned.  It was another one of those picture perfect days.  - Nancy
Fountain on lake front




Tourist train
Yes, it was also for adults.


Lilac tree that wound it's truck around another tree

Book boxes in the park

Proof that I was there.
Beautiful Azaleas.



Church right below train station
Alter in the church

One of the stained glass windows in the church
Garden near the church

Section of steps back to the train station.












No comments: