Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 15, Friday Aug. 10, Park House, Ingleby Cross


Hiked 10 miles, 142 miles down, 50 miles to go Today was a rather plain hiking day. We crossed fields,
walked country lanes, and of course climbed a few stiles. I don't know if it was because we walked so many miles on roads or the continual pounding on my feet day after day is taking a toll but today on what was supposed to be an easy hiking day I struggled some. I got a new blister on the bottom of my right heel and no matter what I put on it for protection it hurt with each step. Tomorrow is lots of uphill hiking and it hurts less going uphill so even though I'll be huffing and puffing my way up the hills my foot may hurt less.
The most dangerous part of today's hike was crossing the A19 dual carriage way. Think of crossing a busy Interstate highway on foot and you have the idea of why it was a bit scary. We have crossed other major highways but have had overpasses or underpasses for them. Once again we had perfect hiking weather - blue sky, a nice breeze, not too hot. We are very fortunate. As we have met other people along the way many ask us if we are enjoying the walk. It is a bit hard to say. I have certainly enjoyed the scenery and seeing the small villages. I have enjoyed hiking with Kathy. She is an encouragement to me. I have really enjoyed the hot showers or baths at the end of the day of hiking. The B&Bs have all been excellent and we have had wonderful breakfasts and evening meals. A good night's sleep has refreshed me for hiking the next day. I have decided I am not a long distance walker. My feet just feel tired after so many days of walking. Otherwise I feel good. So there are parts I have really enjoyed but sometimes the walking gets a bit tedious.
We have had incredible weather for the UK. We must have hit a season for hikers between when school starts here in the UK and families are no longer on vacation but before retired folks do the walk. Again tonight we are the only guests in our B&B.
Whenever I travel towards the end of a trip I start getting the urge to get home. I have that now. This is a long trip and I am ready to head home. Sometimes when Kathy and I talk about finishing the hike you would think we sound like we are on a death march and not on vacation. The end goal is getting closer so we keep on keeping on. We are now in the North York Moors National Park. -Nancy

3 comments:

N said...

YOu can do it! only 50 miles to go!

Unknown said...

It must be scary to cross a major highway in the UK! I hope that you are having fun on the Coast 2 Coast hike. Carry on!

Doug said...

Good work on a relatively easier day. Hope that things go well in the future. If anything, you will recognize a well accomplished goal after finishing!