Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Trip home from Arizona


On our first night out of Tucson we stayed with Gaylyn Smith in Seal Beach, CA. Fortunately, Gaylyn's sister, Wanda Brown, was out from Colorado Springs, so we got to see both "cousins-once-removed" during the overnight stay. The next day, January 31st, we stopped at the house where I grew up on Havana Avenue in Long Beach. The appearance of the house had changed considerably, and I noticed that many of the houses in the neighborhood during my growing-up years had been replaced. From Havana Avenue, we drove by Recreation Park Golf Course on our way to Los Angeles.
From Long Beach we drove to the Getty Museum very near the motel we had reserved for the night.(Bottom pix of the creative cactus garden)
A big purpose in our January 30th departure from Tucson was the plan to make my first-ever visit to Pauley Pavilion, and see UCLA play Colorado. I am pictured by an iconic statue of John Wooden who put UCLA "on the map" in terms of the basketball world. (UCLA won the game, 72-59.) It was a fun experience! Nancy had bought the tickets prior to our trip to Arizona -- as an early 80th b-day present for me! Then, from LA we drove north on US Hwy. 101 to stay overnight at the home of a Fuller Seminary roommate whom I had not seen for many decades. John's wife Susan (whom I had never met) cooked us a delicious salmon dinner! And the setting was in the beautiful redwoods north of Santa Cruz. - rw

3 comments:

Mark W. said...

Great pics. But where's the one with you and Steve Alford?

Ron and Nancy said...

Sorry, Mark. Alford and I are really not buddies. And it was sad that his son had a pretty bad game. Too many turn-overs and missed shots. - Dad

N said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lovely.